About Us » Our Story

Our Story


In 1919 the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary established Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Parish School in Altadena, California. The school was dedicated to the "full development of the human person through education." The school opened with an enrollment of 39 students in First through Fifth grade. The first school building was built next to the Church, it was later destroyed by a fire. The new school buildings were established in 1955.

The school reached its peak enrollment in 1967 with 729 students in sixteen classrooms.  The Sisters of the Holy Names served as administrators of the school until 1981.  Principal, Mrs. Bachman dedicated the school again in the mid 1990's that focused on "Goodness and Excellence" for the whole child. 

Today, the school serves Transitional Kindergarten through Eighth grade. The additional classrooms are utilized as Science Lab, Art Studio, Music Room and Library. The Spartan Field (grass field) was added in 1997 to accommodate our CYO sports programs and recreational activities. 

The majority of the students live within the Saint Elizabeth School and Parish boundaries. Some of the students who live outside of the area attend Saint Elizabeth because it is conveniently located near their parent's employment. The student population represents the rich diverse demographic landscape of Altadena and Pasadena.